BookkeeperPosted by: Todd Richardson
Posted date: Oct-14-2020
NEW LIFE CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE
ABOUT NEW LIFE CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE
New Life is a thriving multi-generational, multi-cultural, multi-congregational church with a focus on helping people take their next-steps in finding & following Jesus.
In the past few years we have seen strong growth in both gathering people for worship and in sending them out on mission. We’ve grown from 800 to nearly 1,400 in weekend worship attendance, launched a growing Spanish-speaking congregation, launched a growing online campus, increased engagement with our neighborhood in community transformation and strengthened relationships with our local and global mission partners.
Our Mission – Helping people take their next steps in finding and following Jesus.
Our Values – We are: Loving, Authentic, Growing, Optimistic, Generous, and Missional
Support Staff, All Staff
FSLA Exempt X Non-Exempt
ABOUT THE BOOKKEEPER:
The Bookkeeper is a Support level leader at New Life Church of the Nazarene. Responsible for the accounting duties for New Life Church of the Nazarene and Blossom Hills Early Learning Center. Duties include Financial Analysis and Financial Management Support to the Executive Director of Administration, Financial Reporting, all General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Receivable, and Payroll functions. Position ensures that all accounting files are maintained and organized for ease of use.
GENERAL AREAS OF OVERSIGHT:
1. Functions as the Accountant for the Church and its client(s) by performing Financial Analysis such as reviewing data, making month-end journal entries, preparing balance sheet account reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts, tracking of fixed assets, designated funds, etc.
2. Position will maintain all Accounts Payable functions, entering bills, printing checks, entering debit and ACH transactions, oversight of credit card reconciliation and payment, mailing, and filing of all disbursements.
3. Position will generate client invoices and post receipts to invoices and filing of all receipts. Maintain correct AR balance with what client is reporting.
4. Position will gather all applicable payroll data and submit to BBSI (payroll processing company). Responsible for the correct treatment of payroll deductions and recording of all payroll transactions. Responsible for W-2 review and distribution, 1099 reporting, preparation of business license, filing various taxes, and any other compliance related issues. The position will review and reconcile Quarterly Payroll tax returns to the financials.
5. Position will provide financial management support to the Executive Director of Church Operations such as monitoring of cash bank balances and project cash flow, produce financial statements, support the budget process, and enter it into the financial accounting system.
6. Position will provide Audit Support, gathering of required documentation, recording of required entries, and provide support to Auditors.
7. Position also serves as the purchasing agent for the church.
Any other duties as assigned.
OTHER AREAS OF LEADERSHIP:
Participate in Operation Team monthly meetings.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General Non-Profit Accounting experience
General knowledge of GAAP
General Accounting Systems Understanding
MINIMUM EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma
PREFERRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Minimum 2-3 years Bookkeeping experience in an operational environment.
Proficient with MS Word, Excel
Proficient in some form of Accounting Software, i.e. Shelby, QuickBooks etc.
This position does not carry any direct responsibility for any department budgets or spending.
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED:
Volunteer Counting Team
Executive Director, Administration
WORKING CONDITIONS / EQUIPMENT:
Duties are performed indoors in an office environment
Duties require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, and talking or hearing
Duties require occasional periods of climbing or balancing, pulling/pushing items, lifting/carrying items, keyboarding, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Weights up to 50 pounds are encountered occasionally.
Vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to do math at the algebraic level.
Reading materials and verbal instructions encountered in this position require complex interpretation.Must be able to transport oneself to workârelated meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.