Youth and Family PastorPosted by: Rodney Wikoff
Posted date: Sep-30-2020
Location: Taft, CA
Associate Pastor of Youth, and Young Adult Ministries
Job Description and Expectations
Who We Are
The West Hills Church of the Nazarene is located in Taft, California, a community of about 10,000 that also serves surrounding small communities, making the outreach potential about 20,000 people. There are six elementary schools (four K-3, one 4-5, and one middle school) in the Taft City School District (ADA 2,300). There are two schools in the Taft Union High School District: one comprehensive high school serving 1,000 students and a continuation high school serving 100 students. Taft College (actually, the West Kern Community College District) is the community college serving the Taft area. The church is located in a centrally-located area of town while being part of a quiet, well-kept middle class neighborhood.
What Are We Doing?
Before COVID-19 we felt led by the Lord to hire an additional staff position to increase the impact of the ministry of our church. The onset of COVID-19 which brought obstacles to worship and cancellation of activities (particularly with our children and youth), accelerated our Board’s feeling that now—rather than at the end of the pandemic-- was the opportunity to increase our support to young people. We have made the prayerful decision to pursue the addition of an associate pastor dedicated to those within our congregation (and our community) who may be most at risk of being lost during these trying times.
For Whom Are We Looking?
We are looking for a godly, energetic, creative, and compassionate pastor(s) who can empower youth (and their parents), middle school, high school, and college students, creating a place where every student can belong, be evangelized, discipled, and prepared for life as a follower of Jesus.
Student Ministry Responsibilities:
· Create and implement a strategy to advance main components of student ministry, including small groups, outreach, student gatherings, and parent involvement, with special care for safety in this post-COVID environment.
· Give vision to and equip student ministry volunteers.
Personal Commitment Attributes:
· Stay current on Student Ministry methods and development of personal leadership skills.
· Develop a cross-cultural ministry in order to reach all the people of Taft.
· Maintain a high and exemplary standard of personal holiness and spiritual disciplines, including tithing.
· Be a positive presence on Sunday mornings to augment our overall welcoming atmosphere.
· Be prepared for and able to appreciate a small town and its unique qualities.
Candidate Qualifications and Expectations:
· Is devoted to Christ
· Is able to articulate a clear call to ministry
· Is in sympathy and support of the policies and practices of the Church of the Nazarene
· Is engaged in the credentialing process leading toward ordination in the Church, if not already ordained
· Is gifted and passionate in teaching, preaching, and caring for youth
· Has knowledge of Scripture and the ability to apply it to real life
· Demonstrates the ability and experience to understand today’s youth and their culture
· Models a lifestyle of spiritual maturity and holiness
· Is teachable, flexible, and collaborative in work relationships, believes in working with and through others to accomplish the mission and vision
· Has the ability to organize purposeful activities and ministries that help young people become lifelong disciples of Christ
· Demonstrates a commitment to developing relationships with parents and youth alike
· Recognizes and seeks opportunities to reach new families for Christ
· Demonstrates the willingness to come alongside families with encouragement and guidance as they attempt to lead their families in Christ