Worship Pastor/Music DirectorPosted by: Dr. Bruce Oldham
Posted date: Sep-13-2020
Location: Winter Haven, FL
About Our City and Our Church
Winter Haven is located an hour south of Orlando, a small town that offers big city amenities close by. Winter Haven 1st Nazarene provides a place of connection to God and with others for children, families, and senior adults who make Polk County home, year-round or during winter months. We also serve our downtown location though a compassionate ministries pastor and a team of volunteers whose mission is working effectively with the homeless and disenfranchised in need of ministry, encouragement, and a weekly meal/worship experience.
The Worship Pastor (or Music Director if not ordained/credentialed as a pastor) at Winter Haven 1st Church of the Nazarene must be an individual whose desire is to lead people into the presence of God through community worship and personal connection. A passion for ministry should flow from a heart fully dedicated to Christ, a commitment to experiencing God's presence in worship, and a focus on leading others to do the same. Working in tandem with the lead pastor and with involved laypersons to lift praise through song, scripture, and liturgy in weekly Sunday worship services is the primary responsibility with this pastoral staff member. This position is formatted as a part-time position, with the expectation that the candidate will serve while also employed in another job in the area (or serving while retired). The worship style of our services is a blend of traditional and contemporary music, thus the position requires familiarity and proficiency with various styles of music.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
1) A devoted follower of Jesus Christ exhibiting the fruit of the Holy Spirit, living a worshipful life of consistent devotion to God at church, in the home, and within all social settings reflecting Him to others around them
2) Commensurate experience for this level of ministry leadership and credentialing (or openness to the credentialing process) in the Church of the Nazarene or sister Wesleyan denomination
3) Moral and ethical lifestyle in agreement with the Covenant of Christian Character of the Church of the Nazarene
4) Effective communicator in public and private settings
5) Skills in organizing and directing church music (both “traditional” and “contemporary” genres) and other forms of artistic expression, and equipping those who will serve alongside
6) A proficient musician who can lead vocally while contributing instrumentally to a worship team
7) Preparing weekly musical sets, leading rehearsals for worship team members (vocalists and instrumentalists), and coordinating with order of worship that highlights the centrality of the Word and embraces sacramental practices
8) Knowledgeable in areas of technology appropriate to their role, managing sanctuary sound/media, equipment, streaming broadcast, and web-based tools related to public worship
9) Participation as appropriate and time allows in staff activities, church board meetings, and district gatherings.