Church of the Nazarene Job Board - Positions by Category: Full-timePosted by: Phillip Nase
Posted date: Jul-28-2020
Location: Owego, New York
Pastor of Worship Ministries
Job Description, Role, and Function
The Pastor of Worship Ministries (Worship Pastor) is a full-time, salaried position at Owego Church of the Nazarene. Benefits for this position include employer retirement contribution (through the Church of the Nazarene 403(b) retirement plan), health insurance and health savings account, paid vacation, personal, and sick time off, professional expense accounts, as well as others outlined in the Church personnel policies (available upon request). The Worship Pastor works at the discretion of the Lead Pastor. The Worship Pastor is a vital member of the Lead Pastor’s staff. The Worship Pastor works collaboratively with the Lead Pastor to coordinate, implement, and evaluate weekly corporate worship and other special events, including cultivation and development of the broader worship team.
Working in partnership with the Lead Pastor, Youth Pastor, Children’s Director, and Discipleship Pastor, the Worship Pastor will cultivate an environment for participative and engaging worship that include opportunities for both individual and group participation, as well as development and spiritual growth.
The Worship Pastor will have primary leadership and oversight of the worship ministries of Owego Church of the Nazarene, in consultation and collaboration with the Lead Pastor. The Worship Pastor will work closely with the Lead Pastor to implement a vision for worship ministries that takes into account the church’s stated vision of becoming a “welcoming, growing, intergenerational community of faith that is fully engaged in responding to the real needs of our community and to inviting people to deep spiritual transformation through a dynamic relationship with Jesus Christ.” This will be accomplished by engaging in the following:
- Dedicate time and effort to daily prayer and reflection regarding God’s direction and vision for worship ministries.
- Meet regularly with the Lead Pastor and other pastoral staff to coordinate efforts, planning, and evaluation of corporate worship experiences—including evaluation of the worship wellness of the congregation;
- Provide, in consultation with the Lead Pastor, reports to the Leadership Team on the status and vision for worship ministries;
- Design and implement corporate worship services in collaboration with the Lead Pastor, office staff, and other pastoral staff—selecting and leading music and other corporate worship features that minister to an intergenerational congregation;
- Cultivate spiritual and skill development of the broader worship team supporting corporate worship experiences—inclusive of spiritual accountability of worship ministry partners in collaboration with the Lead Pastor;
- Manage operation of the corporate worship media software, and inventory of the church A/V system in collaboration with the Facilities Director and A/V Director;
- Coordinate with other departments and units of the church to foster both internal and external evangelism/worship opportunities;
- Coordinate, develop and provide oversight and management to the team of individuals operating the sanctuary audio, sound and lighting systems, media ministry, as well as church musicians in the execution of their responsibilities;
- Work collaboratively with the Lead Pastor to arrange special events and concerts for corporate worship, and,
- Provide oversight and management of the annual worship arts budget.
As a member of the church’s ministry staff, the Worship Pastor will:
- Work in consultation with the Lead Pastor and the rest of the staff to comprehensively work towards realizing the vision described above;
- Assist the Lead Pastor with congregational care, especially to those engaged in worship ministries;
- Assist with various administrative duties, assigned by the Lead Pastor;
- Occasionally fill the pulpit as necessary, as well as engage in teaching and discipling others, when possible;
In support of Children’s Ministries the Worship Pastor will:
- Work collaboratively with the Children’s Director to implement a vision and plan for enhancing children’s worship experiences—including development of a Children’s Worship Band;
- Schedule and develop a team of individuals to operate the lighting, audio and video system in the Children’s Worship Center;
- Working collaboratively with the Children’s Director, assist with an annual Christmas Production—developing the rehearsal and production schedule; and,
- Working collaboratively with the Children’s Director, support children’s special events—integrating meaningful worship experiences for children and their families.
In support of Youth Ministries the Worship Pastor will:
- Work collaboratively with the Youth Pastor to implement a vision and plan for enhancing the worship experiences of youth—including development of a Youth Worship Band;
- Schedule and develop a team of individuals to operate the lighting, audio and video system in the Youth Worship Center; and,
- Working collaboratively with the Youth Pastor, support special events for youth—integrating meaningful worship.
Basic Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in music or music ministry or ministry, theology, biblical studies, etc. (other fields considered)
- 2-4 year’s experience as a worship leader
- District Minister’s License in the Church of the Nazarene (or equivalent from a related Christian tradition; Wesleyan, Free Methodist, etc.), or a demonstrated call to ministry in the Church, articulated by the candidate and endorsed by an ordained minister
- 3-5 Pastoral and/or professional references
- A robust musical and creative background
- Experience in mentoring and training others in worship ministries and Christian life
- A strong commitment to the Church of the Nazarene’s beliefs and the Wesleyan theological tradition
- The ability to work closely with others and with people from all backgrounds and ages
- A pastoral perspective on and attitude towards relationships and church life
Preferred Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music Ministry, and/or music or ministry
- 5+ years of experience as a Worship Pastor/Leader
- District Minister’s License or ordination in the Church of the Nazarene