The Valley Church is focused on those who have “tried” church before and found it irrelevant.
We want to help these unchurched people discover God and connect with others on the same journey. We want to be the kind of church people just love to come to and belong. We are a multiplying, multi-campus congregation pursuing our purpose of making disciples who make disciples and campuses that launch new campuses. We are a sending church, equipping people to go out into the world that desperately needs Jesus. We don’t play it safe.
The Discipleship Pastor will seek to make The Valley Church an effective discipling church by engaging people through one-on-one relational Bible Studies, Life Groups, Serve Teams, as well as engaging our communities and world through local and foreign mission projects. This person will strategically assimilate and retain newcomers into the life of the church so that people move from guest to full commitment and a life of devotion to God.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Discipleship Pastor is responsible for the following areas:
1. Champion and coordinate the Journey: an 8-week one-on-one relational Bible Study.
2. Identify, train and develop existing and new Life Group leaders.
3. Move 50% of those who attend The Valley into Group Life.
4. The Discipleship Pastor will produce sermon-based curriculum for some message series.
5. They will be part of the teaching team for Sunday messages (8-10 messages/year).
6. Partner in local mission projects that invite new people into the life of The Valley.
7. Implement a Spiritual Gifts training seminar that allows people to find their spiritual gifts and become engaged in the ministries of the church.
8. The Discipleship Pastor with work and coordinate with the connections ministry to aid in the assimilation of new guests into the life of the church. We desire a very relational, team-based, personal approach.
9. Create tangible measures of the church’s progress in discipleship.
10. Assist in worship services and perform other duties as needed.
11. Share in performing weddings, funerals, pastoral counseling & hospital visitation
1. Increase those who engage in the Journey: an 8-week relational Bible Study.
2. Increase engagement in Life Groups and the number of leaders equipped to facilitate them, with an
involvement goal of 50% of the congregation actively engaging in group life.
3. Identify, develop and deploy new leaders.
4. Develop a pathway into life groups so that we see a higher percentage of people becoming active in the life and ministries of the church whose initial experience and contact with the Valley was through a Life group.
5. Collaborate and team up with all other ministry areas to proactively assimilate new guests into the next steps that will lead to their spiritual growth.
6. Create a spiritual gifts training seminar that incorporates people into the life and ministries of the church.
1. Deep and growing faith in Jesus Christ.
2. Warm-hearted, gregarious, and gifted at networking.
3. Strong communication skill set that includes preaching and moving people to take next steps.
4. At least three years’ experience leading at a church 500-700 people.
5. Experience managing large groups and events.
6. Able to use social media effectively and has a sense of effective graphics and media communication/strategy.
7. The position requires ordination or moving toward ordination in the Church of the Nazarene.
AREAS OF OVERLAP
1. Collaborate with all other ministry areas regarding assimilation of new people into the best next steps for their spiritual growth.
2. Coordinate with Group leaders to monitor Life Group development, quality of the experience, and
3. Assessment process to help group leaders and staff in identifying, developing and recruiting viable candidates into our Leadership Development Program (LDP).
1. Reports to the Executive Pastor
2. Work in concert with connections team to move new guests into groups
3. Participation in staff and staff prayer meetings.
The position will be responsible for enlisting, equipping, and coordinating volunteers within their ministry area.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Completion or active pursuit of a degree in a field of study related to biblical studies, ministry leadership, etc.
2. Candidate will have a working knowledge of current philosophies and models of discipleship & group life.
3. Ministry leadership experience, including directing teams, holding workers accountable, providing performance feedback and rewarding desired behaviors.
4. Understanding and experience in a relationship/partnership building model of outreach.
5. Budget experience, including forecasting costs, establishing budgets and adhering to set budgets.
6. Ability to manage multiple priorities.
7. Ability to creatively solve problems.
8. Ability to lead people and projects, as well as do the work.
9. Ability to use spreadsheets to assist in empirical analysis.
10. Ability to challenge status quo to move the church forward.
1. Spirit-filled disciple of Christ
2. Integrity beyond reproach
3. Passionate about living for the kingdom
4. Ability to work in harmony with other staff members
5. Flexible, adaptable, coachable, and teachable
6. Servant-heart; servant leader
7. Unshaken by changing priorities
Please forward resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.