Program DirectorPosted by: Bud Pugh
Posted date: Mar-05-2018
Location: Oakland, Oregon
Reports to: Executive Director
To further the mission of Kellogg Springs Camp through the planning and delivery of program activities. Design and deliver program activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the campers’ age and abilities. Recruit, hire, and oversee seasonal camp staff. Assist in the management of the overall camp operation at the direction of the executive director.
· Experience in the development and delivery of camp programs and activities for all ages.
· Willingness to get current instructional certification for training of high and low rope elements, zip line and giant swing.
· Experience in training seasonal staff to preform all camp duties.
· Desire and ability to work with children and adults outdoors.
· Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
· Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
· Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the camp activity.
· Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of summer staff and campers.
· Demonstrate a commitment to the core values and mission of the Church of the Nazarene and Kellogg Springs Camp, and live in full harmony with the doctrine and polity of the Church of the Nazarene, including commitment to the Covenants of Christian Character and Christian Conduct.
Essential Job Functions:
Recruit and hire seasonal camp staff.
§ Partner with ORPAC District and NNU to recruit staff.
§ Hire seasonal summer staff.
§ Work with Executive Director to ensure adequate staff in all areas of camp.
Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures during camp programs.
§ Lead in the implementation of summer staff training.
§ Provide guidelines for programs utilizing camp equipment.
§ Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures in all program areas.
Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in all program areas.
§ Oversee daily checks of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
§ Ensure that program areas are kept free of hazards and debris.
Supervise and evaluate Summer Staff to develop and implement all facets of camp program activities.
§ Regularly monitor work of program specialists, e.g. Giant Swing facilitator, nest position at Zip-Line, and all belay specialist.
§ Provide feedback and guidance to Summer Staff.
§ Provide recommendations and concerns to Executive Director regarding Summer Staff performances.
Develop and implement schedules and records for all areas of camp programs.
§ Create camper and group program and activity schedules.
§ Develop and supervise staff schedule for programs and activities.
§ Collect and evaluate records; report and evaluate camp program and activity areas.
Other Job Duties:
§ Attend administrative staff meetings.
§ Maintain clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff.
§ Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders.
§ Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
§ Provide ongoing program ideas to summer and program specialist staff.
Program Director has direct relationships with the summer staff and act as summer staff’s supervisor. Program Director may in some cases act as an Assistant Camp Director and be placed in charge when the Executive Director is absent.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met and encountered by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires a physically active person who has full range of motion with occasional lifting. The working environment for this position is a combination of an indoor office and building setting as well as outdoors featuring extreme heat and cold environments at the camp.