Youth PastorPosted by: Troy Johnson
Posted date: Apr-27-2017
Location: Sweet Home, OR
Sweet Home Church of the Nazarene is a great and growing church with a long history of preparing ministers, missionaries, and lay people for Kingdom work. The church was planted in 1938, and has been restarting and recreating itself these last few years. Our facility is perfectly located within about ¾ mile from the local High School, Jr Hi and the largest of the areas four elementary schools – right in the heart of Sweet Home. It is our desire to see this church grow to become a hub for discipleship within our community, leading many into an intimate relationship with Christ.
The city of Sweet Home grew from a logging community into a rural city which is well loved by its faithful citizens. There is a bit of a slower pace of life in Sweet Home, with relational community connections being the driving force in evangelism. Our challenges lie in overcoming apathy within many of the current generation of parents, and pointing hopeless youth toward genuine hope in Christ.
The primary function of the Youth Pastor is to assist the Church in Sweet Home as we reach out to the current generation of High School and Jr Hi students of the community. This requires working alongside the existing leadership team as a team member, with the intent to create a cross-generational ministry within and outside of the traditional activities of the church. One in this role must function as a part of the greater cross-denominational unified church group in Sweet Home to bring the message of the hope of the Gospel to as many teens, parents, siblings and grandparents as possible.
First, to assist the local church leadership in guiding all people toward a genuine, transformational relationship with Christ. This will include attendance and potentially leadership at various services, meetings and discipleship opportunities both formal and informal, and will involve a direct effort to know and work with and for people of all ages, both within and outside of the church functions proper.
Second, to establish and edify the existing youth ministry within the local church, growing the ministry both in number and, most importantly, in an ever-deepening relationship with Christ.
Third, to present the message of hope and transformation to all possible people in the community, beginning with teens where they can be found. This will require involvement in local schools and extra-curricular events, as well as specific involvement with parents, teachers, coaches, community leadership, and other local pastors and youth pastors.
· Candidate must be a strong, healthy disciple of Christ.
· Candidate must be willing to be involved in both formal and informal discipleship mentoring practices.
· Candidate must be teachable and desiring of gaining wisdom and experience.
· Candidate must be willing and able to work as part of a greater team, exhibiting both humility and leadership.
· Candidate must be understanding of and aligned with the doctrines and practice of the Church of the Nazarene.
· Candidate must be understanding of and aligned with the mission and vision of Sweet Home Church of the Nazarene.
· Candidate must exhibit a known call to ministry with a heart for youth.
· Candidate must possess a positive and Christlike attitude and character, demonstrating a commitment to excellent standards of integrity.
· Good people skills with a relatable attitude and personality necessary, including a demonstration of a healthy family life, as applicable.
· Education and experience in or toward ministry, as a qualification, is greatly considered. Bachelor’s degree in Biblical ministry, or demonstrable ongoing progress toward a bachelor’s degree in Biblical ministry, is preferred.
· Candidate must exhibit good and/or developing public speaking skills and mentoring skills.
This position is considered half-time, and is a salaried, exempt position. The primary form of compensation is the supply of a two bedroom, one bathroom apartment in the city of Sweet Home. This apartment is large, approximately 1018 square feet, and is clean and modern and nicely appointed with a large modern kitchen and bathroom, tons of storage and a covered parking spot. The apartment is located in a small professionally managed community. In addition to the apartment, a small stipend will be provided to assist with things necessary to the ministry, such as a cell phone and internet connection and the like.