Director of the Youth Theology InstitutePosted by: Heather Daugherty
Posted date: Feb-29-2016
Location: Nashville, TN
Director of the Youth Theology Institute
Office of the Chaplain
Trevecca Nazarene University
UNIVERSITY MISSION STATEMENT
Trevecca Nazarene University is a Christian community providing education for leadership and service.
OVERVIEW OF POSTION
Trevecca Nazarene University invites applications for the Director of the Youth Theology Institute. This position is three-quarters time (30 hours per week) and is funded by a grant from the Lilly Endowment, from July 2016-June 2019.
The Director of the Youth Theology Institute (YTI) will provide leadership and oversight in the development of the program at Trevecca. The Director will be responsible for the overarching vision and direction as well as managing the day-to-day operations of the institute. YTI is funded by a Lilly Endowment initiative that encourages high school students to explore their theological tradition, engage contemporary social challenges theologically and examine how their faith calls them to lives of service. YTI at Trevecca will include a summer intensive program for high school students that will engage them in practices of social justice ministry, theological reflection and vocational discernment as well as an Academic Center that will support the summer intensive and its alumni, resourcing and advocating for theologically rich youth ministry across the denomination and the broader Wesleyan-Holiness tradition.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
· Direct the vision of YTI.
· Oversee day-to day operations of the Institute.
· Cultivating relationships with new and existing partners both on campus and in the greater Nashville area that will support the work of YTI.
· Oversee the selection and training of summer intensive mentors.
· Select, in consultation with the Steering Committee, the annual theme of the summer intensive.
· Select and recruit guest speakers for the summer intensive and other events.
· Work with faculty in the School of Theology and Christian Ministry to develop theological teaching and learning sessions for YTI participants.
· Manage marketing and publicity endeavors focused on participant recruitment. Cultivate strategic relationships with local churches, youth leaders, and youth to promote the program.
· There will be opportunity to teach classes (1-2 per year) on both the undergraduate and graduate level in public theology and theologically engaged youth ministry.
· Work with denominational programs, offices, and schools to position Trevecca as a leader in youth training for the Church of the Nazarene
· Supervise and direct the work of the part-time Project Coordinator.
· Work with the Principal Investigator to prepare reports for the Lilly Endowment, Inc.
· Develop and implement long range plans for the sustainability of YTI.
QUALIFICATIONS: Highly qualified applicants will possess the following:
· A PhD in a theological discipline preferred; ABD or D.Min. will be considered.
· Membership in the Church of the Nazarene; preference will be given to candidates who are ordained.
· Ministry experience with youth.
· A commitment to critically engaging youth in theological exploration and discourse.
· Professional experience in an academic setting.
· Experience managing budgets, preferably with grant administration.
· Ability to effectively motivate and mange students and program personnel and advance the missions of the Institute and the University.
Interested parties who are in agreement with the mission and values of Trevecca Nazarene University should submit the following items as attachments in a single e-mail to email@example.com :
· Letter of Interest
· Updated Curriculum Vitae
· Names and contact information of 3 references
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but they should be received by March 1, 2016 to be considered for initial interviews conducted at the Wesleyan Theological Society Meetings in San Diego, CA in March 2016.
Please no agencies or telephone calls